This easy iced black coffee recipe may be the most simple and easy recipe ever. I don’t think it gets much better than this. No frills, back to basics ice cold coffee. Skip the coffee shop because you can make this simple recipe at home in under 5 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
Before we begin we should mention that we are using Aeropress to make this delicious iced coffee recipe. The Aeropress is similar to a French press but better. For more detailed information about the Aeropress coffee maker, how it works, and more amazing recipes for making great cold brew coffee, espresso coffee, and other great cups of coffee check them out here: Aeropress. It really is an amazing tool for coffee drinkers to make the perfect drink. You will never make traditional drip coffee again when you can make all of your coffee drinks with this one little gadget.
What You Need to Make This Iced Black Coffee Recipe
Grab these basic ingredients:
- 2 scoops, or 28 grams of coffee of choice
- Aeropress coffee press – get it online here: Aeropress
- a tall glass with lots of ice cubes
- filtered water
How to Make the Best Iced Coffee
To make great iced coffee you need to start with great coffee beans. We prefer to grind our own beans for the freshest coffee. You can use store-bought coffee grounds if you would like. Scoop 2 scoops of coffee into the brew chamber.
If you have a food scale, this is also equivalent to 28 grams of coffee.
Next, pour filtered hot water into the chamber up to the number 3. We typically heat water in a tea kettle on the stove for this. The best thing about using the Aeropress is not having to worry about figuring out the coffee-to-water ratio when making the perfect iced coffee.
Use the stir stick to stir the hot coffee in the chamber. This step is very important. It ensures a nice strong black coffee by fully immersing the coffee grounds in the water.
Next, add at least 2 ice cubes to the brew chamber. This is the easiest way to start cooling the hot black coffee.
To complete the brew process, next carefully insert the plunger into the top of the brew chamber and allow the coffee concentrate to steep for at least 60 seconds.
Go ahead and gently apply pressure to the plunger and press the coffee through the chamber into a mason jar or an ice-filled glass.
Remove the Aeropress, add a straw, and enjoy this delicious chilled coffee on a hot summer day.
This recipe is actually very similar to how we make our own cold brew, the main difference being that we add whole milk to our cold brew.
FAQs and Recipe Variations
- Can I add sweetener to my iced black coffee? Sure, the best way to sweeten your iced black coffee while still keeping it simple is with brown sugar or maple syrup.
- If you love a stronger flavor you can make coffee ice cubes by pouring chilled black coffee into an ice cube tray and pop them in the freezer. You would need to do this a bit in advance but this way you can use coffee ice cubes in this delicious drink.
- Keep in mind, that while you absolutely can add coffee creamers, or a splash of milk that making that change really would change the recipe completely from an iced black coffee to simply an iced coffee. And that’s ok.
- Where can I get an Aeropress? Right here: Aeropress
- 28g coffee
- Scoop 2 scoops or 28g of coffee into Aeropress brew chamber
- Fill chamber with filtered hot water to the number 3 marker
- Stir the coffee in the chamber
- Add 2 ice cubes to the chamber and insert plunger
- Allow coffee to steep for 60 seconds
- Depress plunger and push coffee through the chamber into an ice filled glass
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
All Nutritional Information is approximate and will vary
Subscribe to get new recipes from Thrist Priority, Sign up today!